Monday, April 25, 2016

Week 32: Stockton Brookside - Building Fences


Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been a pretty good week.  Our transfer call which consisted of nothing new, was that we are both staying and still don't have any extra responsibilities.  So I get to spend another transfer with Elder Newsome and in the Brookside and YSA wards.  We have a couple investigators that are progressing.  The first and foremost is Giovanni in the YSA.  He has a date to get baptized for May 14th and will without a doubt be ready by then.  The one you mentioned is Jane Fall.  She has had the first lesson but has been exposed to LDS people her entire life and will definitely get baptized.  She is really busy with two jobs and finishing school so it's hard to teach her consistently but we will get with her again soon.  We have two others we are working with in the YSA named Lalo and his sister Marisol, and Johnathan whom I actually found while I was in Creekside.  We also have a few people in the Brookside ward too.  The main one is Davaughn Buckner.  He is getting married to a member and is really great to teach because we have to really try to simplify everything we teach to him.  There are three others that are progressing or will start the lessons named RJ, Tracy, and Danelle Tuitavuki.  So we have lots to do in both wards and tons of less-actives that we are trying to bring back.

We finished building the fence for the widow this weekend and I'll send some pictures in a bit.  It was a really fun project and gives me a new skill that I can use in the future for other people.

My companion and I were talking to one of the inactive members in the Brookside ward who has been worked with for a long time. We were talking with him about his brother who had come out as gay recently and about the whole story with him and how it affected the family. As we were talking he asked us how we would answer some of his brother's questions. We threw out some answers but soon settled on the true fact that only the simple truths of the gospel can answer a question like that. That as long as we have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and of the prophet Joseph Smith it doesn't matter what our question is but that God is right and what he says is what matters. We also heard the same principle in institute the other day, which helps us to know that it really is true.  We also talked with an inactive and basically completely fallen away member of the YSA that totally brings that statement to full truth too.  When we keep asking all the wrong questions and lose sight of our testimony and foundation, we begin to look in all the wrong places for answers.

This also brings to mind that I have been kind of upset about someone falling away too.  If you remember my first convert Quincy Vaughn.  He as far as I know wasn't getting the answers he wanted from the people in the ward and has completely shut himself off from all the people who were there to help him in the ward.  He is only 16 and has begun to fall away.  The only thing that really bothers and tears me down is that I have asked to be able to meet up with him because of his close vicinity, but I am not allowed to go and sit down and talk him through anything because he isn't in my area.  I feel like I could help him but I'm being held back to sit and hear that a true friend of mine is falling away.  I wish the best for him and that he makes the right choices but it feels so helpless when I can't even make face to face contact.  

That's really it, and a lot actually, but oh well.  I hope all stays well at home and stay safe on you journeys and everyday activities.

Love,
Elder Weber
The fence:




No comments:

Post a Comment